|Bishop Ryan blessed the
foundation stone of an extension to be constructed to the rear of the
house. In 1819, Bishop James Keating opened the new college and the
President, staff and student body of Michael Street took up residence.
substantial building programme between 1829 and 1932 saw the
construction of an
impressive facade with its high tower - a distinctive feature of the
Fr. John Sinnott was responsible for the
construction of the College Chapel, designed by
Augustus Welby Pugin
and blessed in 1840.
|During 1878/9, a
structure comprising a large study hall with bedrooms overhead was
constructed. St. Aidan's and the new hall were used for the first time
when the new Intermediate Examinations began on 14th June 1879. From
then on the student population increased. In 1891 there were 42
resident students and 84 day pupils.
In the 1930's a growing increase in the number of ecclesiastical
students made extra accommodation necessary and the New Wing
was completed in 1938. This structure also comprised a concert hall.
During the academic year 1969/70, the Sesquicentenary of St. Peter's
College was celebrated and St. Ibar's Wing was officially opened.
The 1970's saw further
development and through the sterling efforts of the Past Pupils' Union the
Sports Complex was completed in 1982 and officially opened on 3rd October
Power Park, the all-weather pitch commemorates the name of Ned
Power - former
Vice-Principal - who did so much to promote drama and games, not only in
the College, but also in County Wexford.
Decisions were taken to close the boarding school 1997 and the Seminary in
The Patron allocated a portion of the available rooms to the Secondary
School. Substantial refurbishment of these buildings and the
construction of a new extension was made possible through funding from
the Department of Education & Science.
Refurbishment of the sports complex was funded by the Department of
Tourism, Sport & Recreation.
The legend on the
College Coat of Arms,
may be translated as
Strive to be of Service,
Learn to be Useful
The new extension, refurbishments of St. Ibar's and the Sports Complex
were officially opened on 26th November 2001. In excess of
€4m was invested in these recent projects. Ambitious new plans
are on the drawings board to further enhance the College in the
future. Presently, the school has a student population of 640.
St. Peter's College has played an essential part in the history of the
Diocese of Ferns, and in the County of Wexford, and can look forward to a
future full of vitality and achievement.